Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjecthopefully I can clear up what I mean, bear with me
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2887416&mesg_id=2887448
2887448, hopefully I can clear up what I mean, bear with me
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Mon Jun-02-14 08:22 PM
this is the album that's most true to who Mos is as an artist, in an essential sense
it's not a showcase of artistic growth as much as it is an indicator of the type of artist he really is
pretty much every aspect of his artistry is on full display and not many concessions are made in regards to style or subject matter
Ms Fat Booty is about as radio-friendly as you could get at the time, but the way it was constructed was pretty format defiant so it didn't come off as a grab
and most of the best songs wouldn't have fit on any of his other records because they don't have the natural feel this one does (Mathematics, New World Water, Love, etc)
as far as Choc goes, there's a few clunkers on there:

-The Questions
-Payback is a Grandmother (if they were going to let Dilla get by with a bad Primo impression, they should've let the real deal get another beat
-the first part of Funky for You is sloppy (in a bad way)
-(this is just personal preference and taste, so I'm just putting it out there) A Song For Assata comes off as contrived and doesn't grab me at all, in fact I've only sat through that song MAYBE four times in 14 years

FFY and TQ stick out because they're in the start of the middle of the album, and that's a really bad place to have that sort of thing happen