Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI was one of them but don't get it twisted....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2887416&mesg_id=2887425
2887425, I was one of them but don't get it twisted....
Posted by Brew, Mon Jun-02-14 06:32 PM
I picked LWFC in this poll but it was as much of a toss up as a toss up can be with Train of Thought.

All I was saying was that on LWFC, I thought that Common eased back on the metaphorical lyricism that made him who he was on Resurrection and One Day... He was rapping in a more straight forward, literal manner. Which he was still extremely good at, but he just lost a little bit of his lyrical individuality in doing so, IMO. It was as if he was heavily influenced by those (BT, SV, etc) around him during the making of that album. The only verses where it seemed like he was rapping in HIS style (Nag Champa comes to mind) were verses recycled from freestyles he did before he officially signed on and started work with the Soulquarian crew.

But that said, he was still VERY strong lyrically on LWFC and it's still one of his top 2-3 albums (I wouldn't be able to argue that hard against it being #1 against anyone who wanted to say that) and the production is among the very BEST I've ever heard. That's why I voted it here.