Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: I listened once so far on spotify and had the same basic first impression:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2885276&mesg_id=2885377
2885377, RE: I listened once so far on spotify and had the same basic first impression:
Posted by thebigfunk, Sun May-18-14 07:33 AM
>Sonically/Production wise it pretty straightforward, but some
>of the songwriting and piano parts sounded incredible. I
>periodically try listening to her other later albums and think
>there's still always been good stuff and she never totally
>'fell off', just made albums that weren't as strong as the
>earlier stuff.

Her albums always had a handful of tunes that stood out. And who knows, maybe I'll change my mind about some of the later ones. I know that for a long time, I really didn't "get" Scarlet's Walk or the Beekeeper, but I came around to really admire both of them (think I wrote posts on that ages ago). But records after that have never been wholly convincing or moving... like Pallett says, I've felt like it's more me than her, in a way.

>i never listened to Owen Pallett...gonna check him out soon

I really like his stuff - I think he has an album coming out in a week or two. I'm less familiar with his older stuff, but Heartland and some of the ep releases around that album really wowed me. It's a different sound, almost restrained, definitely informed by a lot of modern classical influences.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~