Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThe Predator / Guerillas In Tha Mist appreciation post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2883471
2883471, The Predator / Guerillas In Tha Mist appreciation post
Posted by Jimmy Green, Thu May-01-14 02:48 PM
I've been bumping these in the car for the last week. They are dope as all hell.
Any fans up in here? I've been going through a Cube phase for a little while, revisiting the 90s stuff, but I'd forgotten how great Da Lench Mob album was. (Not so keen on Planet Of Da Apes.)
2883472, Hell yeah!
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Thu May-01-14 02:53 PM
That David Sterling shit had me bumping early Cube and The Coup's 90s albums.
2883481, the predator is my favorite ice cube album.
Posted by Small Pro, Thu May-01-14 03:47 PM
"death certificate" is the better album, but cube was at his best here.
2883512, Predator is my favorite too
Posted by las raises, Thu May-01-14 08:16 PM
2883493, Best concert I ever went to was a Cube/Da Lench Mob show
Posted by mrhood75, Thu May-01-14 04:08 PM
It was in the early Spring after both those albums dropped. Man, the place went fucking ape-shit when Cube came out to "When Will They Shoot?" Then went to "Steady Mobbin," then the original version of "Check Your Self"; this tour was probably the only time he performed that version instead of remix. As a side note, I'll say I prefer the o.g. to the remix.

I remember the first time I heard a chunk of the Predator back when I was a Senior in High School. KMEL apparently played most of the album uncut the night before, and one of my homies on the basketball team recorded the first tracks. We were at offsite practice and he let me bump the tape while they running drills (I was the "manager" of the team). The aforementioned "When Will They Shoot?" and "Now I Gotta Wet Cha" blew my brain open. As a whole, the album is Cube's last great one, although it's a little uneven at points. I've never been a huge fan of "It's a Good Day," and "Who Got the Camera?" is a little too on the nose, but I've always been a huge fan of album tracks like "We Had to Tear this Motherfucka Up" and "Say Hi to the Bad Guy."

"Guerillas in the Mist" was also a certified banger. I remember I saw the video for the first time on The Box right before headed to a high school dance. Man, when I got there, I wouldn't shut up about it to my homeboys, going on about, "Yo! It's fucking crazy! They're in the jungle like The Predator and they're hunting down motherfuckas! It's so dope!" As a song/video, it hit me as hard as Das EFX's "They Want EFX."
2883543, That Lench Mob Album Is A Slept On Gem
Posted by Luke Cage, Fri May-02-14 12:48 AM
Cube changed his style up a bit, I think mainly due to the influence of The Good Life and Das Efx, and it really worked. Production on the album was great too. Buck That Devil still gets played on a regular.
2883569, Guerillas In Tha Mist ain't no joke
Posted by ProgressiveSound, Fri May-02-14 09:22 AM
Been bumpin this too. Lord have Mercy...
Lost up in the system with the ankle blues

I always keep Now I Gotta Wet Ya in rotation
2883597, RE: Guerillas In Tha Mist ain't no joke
Posted by Jimmy Green, Fri May-02-14 12:12 PM
Yeah man, album smacks it. The only thing I'd change is to make it maybe a track or two longer... surely there'd be a couple of tracks that didn't make it to the album from that era that would flesh it out a bit? It's brilliant but I want more! :D
2883598, Well, they had to pull "Pin the Tail on the Honky" due to sample
Posted by mrhood75, Fri May-02-14 12:22 PM
issues. Apparently they couldn't clear the Marvin Gaye sample. It was supposed to album's title track.
2883611, RE: Well, they had to pull "Pin the Tail on the Honky" due to sample
Posted by Jimmy Green, Fri May-02-14 02:43 PM
reeeeeeeeeeeally?
*hits up youtube*
2883612, RE: Well, they had to pull "Pin the Tail on the Honky" due to sample
Posted by Jimmy Green, Fri May-02-14 02:44 PM
...dammit, not there
2883641, Lord Have Mercy is the damn jam
Posted by Record Playa, Fri May-02-14 11:11 PM
2883644, I used to go through my cousin's tapes when he was in jail
Posted by JFrost1117, Fri May-02-14 11:57 PM
And one day, I got to the West Coast section, and specifically the Ice Cube section. It blew my mind to hear what existed past "It Was a Good Day".
2883938, da lench mob
Posted by spoons, Mon May-05-14 04:58 PM
great record that carried that west coast bomb squad styled funk sampling pooh and jinx were doing for cube's crew. i also got the impression that cube possibly ghost wrote a lot of that record, considering the tone and themes of the record compared to death certificate.
2883976, I still bump Lench Mob on a regular Basis...
Posted by ry 213, Mon May-05-14 10:21 PM
Guerillas in the Mist is a classic to me.
Its funny looking back at how politically incorrect some of it is by todays standards. You and your Heroes would never be accepted today.
2883980, Babe Ruth was good against the white boys but
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Mon May-05-14 10:53 PM
he couldn't hit a nigga like Doc Gooden
2883982, Madonna, you muthafuckin slut!!
Posted by ry 213, Mon May-05-14 11:22 PM
You can show your butt and jimmys still wont get up
2884074, Ah, for the days that hip-hop designed to frighten white people
Posted by mrhood75, Tue May-06-14 12:32 PM
Or at the very least make them uncomfortable.
2884068, you enwurds old as dirt
Posted by astralblak, Tue May-06-14 12:03 PM
2884083, I liek Da Lench Mod, but The Predator is ICe Cube's wekest album
Posted by handle, Tue May-06-14 12:56 PM
He went too "gangsta" and lost the ability to comment on himself, or to show his vulnerability or weakness. And his sense of humor is sorely missed.

He was too mad after the verdict to show anything but defiance or outrage, and he's less interesting because of it.

I also didn't like the skits that were very much in the style of Friendly Fascism by Consolidated.

Plus It was a Good Day is a weak-ass song and the radio and edited video they show of it never reach the point of the song - which was "What the fuck is he talking about?" They just fade the song out before the crucial line, and fade the video before he gets gaffled.

Guerrillas in Da Mist is solid posse/crew album. I wish those dudes would have stayed out of trouble and kept going - instead we got 5 years of The Westside Connection :(
2884100, i laughed at this
Posted by Selah, Tue May-06-14 02:43 PM
>He was too mad after the verdict to show anything but defiance
>or outrage, and he's less interesting because of it.

nothing like the trivialization of someone else's anger (which by the way resonated with a whole lotta folk)

"less interesting"

ain't THAT a B.......
2884121, This is like my opinion man
Posted by handle, Tue May-06-14 04:26 PM
>"less interesting"
>
>ain't THAT a B.......

Yes, less interesting to me.

He seemed to examine life and his situation a little more in his previous record - in this one it was ALL attitude, ALL "fuck you and your system."

If you identified with that more, then hey , it's a free country, but you lost me.

I'd say Death Certificate has a lot of anger too but it just seems like a more nuanced record.

I'll give you it's the last of the "classic" period Ice Cube.

2884101, What's wrong with an album capturing a particular moment in time?
Posted by mrhood75, Tue May-06-14 02:50 PM
I like that a big chunk of the album was made in reaction to one particular event. Raw feelings and emotions translated into music are often just as interesting and sometimes even more than looking back on everything in hindsight.

It's no different than an artist creating an album based around their feelings of a recent break-up. The power is in the now.
2884122, Maybe
Posted by handle, Tue May-06-14 04:33 PM
>It's no different than an artist creating an album based
>around their feelings of a recent break-up. The power is in
>the now.

A lot of times an artist breaks up , writes a record, and I'm like "Who fucking cares?" Beck is the prime example in that area.

If Ice Cube wanted to capture his outrage at the time he did it, he just didn't express it in a way that I found interesting. (Like I don't find a Dennis Miller rant on 911 interesting either.)

I remember seeing him after the premier of Wicked when he was asked about being a "Muslim" and hanging with the Red Hot Chili peppers and him saying something like "They devils, but they cool devils."

2884456, RE: I liek Da Lench Mod, but The Predator is ICe Cube's wekest album
Posted by go mack, Sat May-10-14 09:02 AM
weakest album when including his first two? well, yeah but its still his last really good album. Lethal Injection had some great songs but overall still prefer Predator and every thing after Lethal was very mediocre.
2884540, RE: The Predator / Guerillas In Tha Mist appreciation post
Posted by melanon, Sun May-11-14 05:16 AM
the low key opinion is that Da Lench Mob FAAAAAR exceeded expectations where The Predator barely met them.

the last era of semi great Ice Cube.

anyone here care to clue me in on what exactly 'Bow Down' devotees are listening to?