Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI like Surrealistic Pillow...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2880931&mesg_id=2881127
2881127, I like Surrealistic Pillow...
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Thu Apr-17-14 06:03 AM
...that's a strong album that feels era-defining in a way. As for most overrated hippie-act, I'd agree if it wasn't for Janis Joplin/Big Brother who I find absolutely horrendous on every level; Jefferson Airplane at least has some (not many) good/great songs and a strong album.

Anyway, Grace didn't diss AC/DC, it was just a largely correct quote about old rockers, nothing to be worked up about man.

The idea of AC/DC without Malcolm does seem strange but it's worth pointing out that on the first AC/DC-tour I saw in 1988, there was actually a stand-in for him and people didn't seem to notice. At the same time, it was the worst AC/DC show I've seen and it's perfectly possible-even likely-that the absense of Malcolm and his distinct timing was a reason in retrospect. However, this was also when they had Simon Wright rather than the mighty Phil Rudd on drums and that was probably just as much of a dealbreaker; the combo Malcolm/Rudd is what gives AC/DC their distinct groove, if *both* are missing, it won't sound correct...

I'm at work now but I will write more later...