Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectNever really liked this song
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2873760&mesg_id=2873870
2873870, Never really liked this song
Posted by seandammit, Thu Mar-06-14 12:58 AM
The beat never did it for me, and this really marked the beginning of the Questionable Hooks from Dice Era. Thought kills it as usual and Kweli is alright (never been a huge fan of his), but this song kind of annoys me more than anything.

Speaking of Kweli...and reflecting on how tight a lot of cats were a decade ago (see my Furtado comment in the "Sacrifice" reply....it's interesting to note that it's not like the Roots were the only ones who used their post-Soulquarian-era album to rebel against their perceived status quo. Kweli's 'Quality' also "broke format" in quite a few songs, all of which seem laughably acceptable at this point.

I mean, cats were really tripping over him talking about guns on "Gun Music?" We were that bothered by a slicker West Coast sound on the DJ Quik joint? Was it such a crime to have a sung hook on "Waiting for the DJ?" I realize that hindsight is 20/20, and these moves may have helped to foster the shift in perspective, but it's crazy how much artists were kind of catching shade for stepping outside their boxes when, looking back, they weren't doing anything all that appalling.