Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectAlways appreciate insight from an insider.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2873611&mesg_id=2873659
2873659, Always appreciate insight from an insider.
Posted by Remedial, Tue Mar-04-14 11:03 PM
>Most of these kids don't know what they are doing.... They
>were literally just pluggin in dots on Fruity loops and hit a
>couple cool melodies. But like they don't know anything about
>music and now they are in demand... so they need help..

This definitely would be the case with the new generation of FL Studio producers. They might be able to program the hell out of some drums (although, that's up for discussion because all these rolling 1/32-1/64 note hi-hats and pitched 808 patterns are starting to sound the same to me) but the melodies appear to be lucky accidents or might be derived from sample packs.

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine recently about how all these new programs have lead to the proliferation of so-called producers in the game and has also cheapened the value of a great beat.

Back in the day, there might have only been one cat in the hood with an MPC or an SP-1200 and he was the cat everyone came to for beats and was also the most likely to get a placement because the cost of entry was so high. Cats FORGET that these machines were THOUSANDS of dollars when they first came out.

So, with so few cats having the equipment, if you were one of the lucky few, your chances of getting that track on a release was considerably high.

Now, with the numerous computer programs available today , EVERYONE with the latest cracked version of FL Studio and a couple youtube tutorials under his belt is calling himself a producer. And, now with 1,000's of heads to separate yourself from, you get the cats leasing beats for 0.99, which in turn has emcees EXPECTING you to give them beats for free or damn near it and an complete weakening of the marketplace for beats.

Ain't no more running up on an artist with that beat cd because they already get like a thousand a day online and probably won't waste time listening to yours. Just add it to the pile or discard it at the next refuse bin.

Sad to see, but, that's the game...

>They also have shitty drums.. like e.g. "niggas in paris" the
>melody was done on fruity loops on an iphone/ipad I think..
>but the drums were not good (I was told) so Ye comes in and
>makes them what they are... adds switch ups and all that
>shit... then someone might come in and add a string section
>etc...

Didn't know that. Adds a different dimension to that track for me knowing the background story. Also, I think that too many heads don't give enough credit to engineers when it comes to the adoration some producers get for their sound, ESPECIALLY the drums.

I know some producers are now selling these "official" drum kits but the irony of that is, they're giving you the drums pre-mixdown, which many times makes them as useful as the many other drum sounds you can find on the net or EXACTLY those SAME sounds. Yeah, I'm getting the kick or snare from so and so track, but, it SURE sounds nothing like what I heard on the cd.

Just another hustle IMHO and I would be ALL up for buying these sounds if I was getting what I heard on the actual release, but, many times I'm guessing the producer may not even have the stems of the final mix and/or master. Until then, I'll stick to crafting my own sounds...

>Also.. lots of times cats are takin submissions.. so like the
>young home might have a dope idea but if you cleaned it up its
>a banger... so yea..
>
>everything is committee's these days..

I had heard about that. I know that Swizz has been accused of this, along with Dre back in the day. But, that's just the game. It's great to see the larger producers giving credit to all the players and co-producers nowadays, in contrast to when it just used to be their names on joints. That would be my greatest concern with that side of the game.

But, I must say, things have really changed from the day when the image of a hip hop producer was one cat in a room with some records and an MPC.