Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectHas there ever been an emcee more overshadowed than Guru?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2873605
2873605, Has there ever been an emcee more overshadowed than Guru?
Posted by icecold21, Tue Mar-04-14 05:20 PM
Gift and the curse of working with the GOAT I guess.

Thing is Guru was a dope rapper but his name doesn't often get brought up when talking about dope rappers. Reasons for this may include:

-Preem was the larger figure in the group(both in talent & personality)
-Guru didn't do a lot of guest appearances
-lack of name recognition (solo MC in a group, name wasn't part of group name, a la PR&CL)

He's kind of like the reverse of Eric B & Rakim. I can't think of anyone else more overlooked, underrated rappers like Thought and Phife get more shine(although BT is a much better rapper). He gets respect when he's mentioned, but I don't think there has been anyone more overlooked with that talent level than Guru.

2873609, Phife is actually overrated but that's another post for another day
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Tue Mar-04-14 05:39 PM
I agree that Guru is underrated. Dude held it down on those Gang Starr LP's and the first three Jazzmatazz projects. I think his monotone style wasn't everyone's cup of tea though and being in a group with the GOAT doesn't help either. He was an older dude too so the youth wasn't fucking with the content with the exception of Hard to Earn. I think that album rubbed the older heads the wrong way lyrically. That was the harshest Guru ever got IMO.
2873709, agree with the Phife comment
Posted by stattic, Wed Mar-05-14 09:07 AM
2874310, hell yeah
Posted by Grand_Royal, Sat Mar-08-14 03:52 PM
2873610, yet he's still a first ballot HOFer
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Tue Mar-04-14 05:47 PM
he's not only one of the most overlooked emcees, but he's a great songwriter
MOT has some of the finest songwriting in Hip Hop over the course of an album, and I don't mean in the industry talk bullshit ass way either
2873642, RE: yet he's still a first ballot HOFer
Posted by howardlloyd, Tue Mar-04-14 09:23 PM
is he overlooked by people who were THERE though?

i think the johnny come latelys who worship at the house of preem and dilla overlook Guru..but anybody who was listening 90-96 knows… whoever fronted on him.

theres a couple of acts that when people dismiss i know they johnny come latelys

puba
treach
guru
redman
2873703, nope
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Wed Mar-05-14 07:25 AM
because everybody else knows how he was the face of Gang Starr before Primo reinvented himself and started doing outside work
2873988, I think Reggie's still very much
Posted by astralblak, Thu Mar-06-14 03:04 PM
celebrated as a great/rapper personality

much more than Puba, Treach or Guru
2873755, RE: yet he's still a first ballot HOFer
Posted by Original Juice, Wed Mar-05-14 02:34 PM
>MOT has some of the finest songwriting in Hip Hop over the
>course of an album, and I don't mean in the industry talk
>bullshit ass way either

aka the "but Future writes good hooks and knows how to craft a song" way.
2874070, exactly, my man
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Thu Mar-06-14 07:16 PM
2873620, Black Thought
Posted by JG., Tue Mar-04-14 06:43 PM
nm
2873634, Guru actually loomed larger in the group for the first half of the 90s
Posted by Bombastic, Tue Mar-04-14 08:29 PM
The initial Gang Starr production duties were a team effort up through Daily Operation.

Premier didn't start becoming the go-to outside producer/DJ extraordinaire until probably around the time of KRS Return of the Boom-Bap in '93 going into '94.

Guru around that same time was the more visible member with the trademark voice, Premier likely started doing more outside work because he had more time basically living at D&D as Guru was taking that Mo Better Blues 'Jazz Thing' concept to the hilt with actual live instrumentation on the first Jazzmatazz album, touring/doing press for that record, being featured on the Brand New Heavies/Neneh Cherry/Dream Warriors/Buhloone Mindstate/Ronny Jordan and other jazz-rap-fusion-related stuff.

Thing is while that stuff was getting a lot of critical praise in that era with write-ups in every music magazine from Downbeat to Spin, like most any other jazz-related records over the past couple decades, it didn't really sell all that well.

Meanwhile Premier (who was also still in the 'jazz-rap' vein a bit in terms of the samples while working with Branford & Dream Warriors but not as overtly) was doing the Jeru album, plus had credits on Ready to Die & Illmatic with his hand in at least one classic record of the era on each.

That same year the belated Hard To Earn dropped, amazingly including the Premier-scratched banger 'Dwyck' which had already had a video plus been the b-side on the 'Take It Personal' cassette-single and presumably 12" for nearly two years by that point.

This was the first album where Premier is credited as the producer rather than co-producer and the album's sound was a bit grittier and more 'hip-hop' than Step In The Arena or Daily Operation.

It's also the first album in their catalog to feature DJ Premier, rather than Guru, in the foreground of the cover photo.

Whether that was an accidental or intentional photographic summation of the shift that had occurred by mid-'94, Premier's trademark musical sound-bed would become the de-facto 'New York Rap'/true-school sound signifier for what seemed like the whole second half of the 90's into early 2000/01.

It was at that point the tables had kinda turned in terms of power, Premier's profile loomed large during the long absence of a Gang Starr record for the next four years as Guru went further down the rabbit-hole of the jazz stuff before wandering in the creative wilderness waiting for his partner to get back in the increasingly longer gaps between group efforts.

Subsequent generations who weren't around or were too young to remember the early 90's now want to now paint it as Guru being carried by Premier or say dumb shit like 'Premier & Jeru were a better duo' while acting like the man with the classic voice + gifts for songwriting beyond a scratched-vocal sample chorus was some kind of Malachi The Nutcracker-style scrub.

Guru's musical regression on the Baldhead Slick album, bizarre relationship with Solar, legal/substance issues, illness and muted/mysterious death didn't help to quell that misguided talk and perception.

But make no mistake that man is a legend and a great MC despite not having earned some imaginary stripes bestowed upon him by the Fat Beats Geeks or their Internet-Rap-Olympic-Nerd offspring thru spitting a multitude of multis & verbal gymnastics

Guru was more concerned with content, clarity, song-craft, storytelling all delivered thru his inimitable vocal filter.

Give the credit y'all......where it is due.

2873643, i wish i woulda read this b4 posting my BS
Posted by howardlloyd, Tue Mar-04-14 09:25 PM
this is exactly it
2873701, Well said...
Posted by herbiehowsermc, Wed Mar-05-14 06:59 AM
It was sad when these revisionist critisisms started cropping up a few years ago in the Lesson. From now on, I'm going to link to this if I see any.
2873708, Hearing Jeru on 'I'm the Man' underscored Guru's limitations
Posted by stattic, Wed Mar-05-14 09:06 AM

on the mic. Guru is a great emcee, but I would probably go back and listen to more old of their old albums if they featured an emcee that matched the quality of the production. I think that is more of a nod to their production skills than it is a knock on him, but I was never really checking for him that much
2873754, wrong
Posted by howardlloyd, Wed Mar-05-14 02:16 PM
go listen to that dwyck verse. shit is classic

guru was nice. jeru never approached the amount of respect guru had.

that's just facts
2873893, Never said he wasn't nice, just that features and Primo's
Posted by stattic, Thu Mar-06-14 09:19 AM

work with other emcees showed his limitations. Like I said, this likely has more to do with how great Primo's production was than Guru, so not sure what your point is.
2873817, you sound like a fucking Oreo with this shit
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Wed Mar-05-14 08:29 PM
2873894, Either make a point or move on
Posted by stattic, Thu Mar-06-14 09:19 AM
2873990, Bomb made our point for us
Posted by astralblak, Thu Mar-06-14 03:08 PM
and nerds like you are exactly who he is addressing in the body of his post

AINT NO IFs about those Gang Starr Lps 2-5
2874069, the point was that you sound like a fucking Oreo
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Thu Mar-06-14 07:15 PM
I think I made it pretty concisely known
2873730, very well stated
Posted by Selah, Wed Mar-05-14 12:08 PM
2873735, ^ a good Lessony ass post. *golf clap*
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Wed Mar-05-14 12:40 PM
i never paid attention to the imagery of Preme suddenly being the in front on album covers. ill fact.

thanks for that post.
2873836, Great post
Posted by icecold21, Wed Mar-05-14 10:09 PM
Thanks for that
2873989, !!!
Posted by astralblak, Thu Mar-06-14 03:06 PM
BASE.
2874022, Very Well Said
Posted by mathmagic, Thu Mar-06-14 04:38 PM
Indeed
2874244, *grim nod of approval*
Posted by I. Motion, Fri Mar-07-14 11:12 PM
2873732, i thought it was generally accepted that Guru wasn't that good
Posted by woe.is.me., Wed Mar-05-14 12:26 PM
a rapper?
2873737, never heard that until I came here
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Wed Mar-05-14 12:45 PM
Is he a top 10 emcee? No but Guru is def a good rapper.
2873757, yep
Posted by makaveli, Wed Mar-05-14 02:51 PM
2873759, I first saw it on alt.rap and rec.music.hip-hop...
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Wed Mar-05-14 03:20 PM
...when I came on the internet in the mid-90's. I couldn't relate at all as a swede who had barely heard Freestyle Fellowship and was "still" digging regular stuff but the "cool" thing then in those collegiate Hip-Hop circles was rappers who had intricate wordplay and "clever" punchlines and multi-syllable flows. I remember people going crazy over J-treds saying "I got more presence than attendants in a class of scizophrenics" like "that is SO dope" and Canibus was extremely cool for a while before the Wyclef-fiasco with his debut. Meanwhile, rappers like Guru was pushed to the side and even considered wack with people saying that Primo was the only reason people cared which Bombastic eloquently explained above wasn't true.

People acted retarded in that era, saying that guys in Mystik Journeymen or isionaries were better than Guru... *SMH*
2873790, I never heard that either
Posted by Ray_Snill, Wed Mar-05-14 05:24 PM
just like I never heard J-Dilla was a top producer until Quest made a post about him being the goat. then all of sudden the The Love Movement because super dope and LabcabinCalifornia became The Pharcyde's best album. Guru was always pretty much considered a dope MC, nothing more nothing less

<================================
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/4837778/william-moore-wwe-tackle-o.gif
2873818, you've said some dumb shit but this is probably the dumbest
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Wed Mar-05-14 08:30 PM
2873846, Guru is in my top 15 of all time greats
Posted by Kid Ray, Wed Mar-05-14 10:39 PM
2873991, whoever says that should not be taken seriously
Posted by astralblak, Thu Mar-06-14 03:09 PM
as a fan of rap
2874245, whoever said that is 10 and speaking out of their ass
Posted by justin_scott, Fri Mar-07-14 11:23 PM
2873853, OKP.. where dudes hated GURU, but loved rappers from slum village
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Wed Mar-05-14 11:19 PM
....if anything GURU overshadowed Preem ....you have a better chance saying Pete Rock overshadowed CL, but even then you wouldn't be correct when it comes to the music
2873910, LOL
Posted by 13Rose, Thu Mar-06-14 10:46 AM
You have a point.
2873924, I disagree.
Posted by stone_phalanges, Thu Mar-06-14 11:25 AM
Also, I think everyone knows that Dilla, T3, and Batin weren't good rappers, but they still made good music....just like guru.
2873992, uhhh, who is this "we" that think SV is wack @ rapping
Posted by astralblak, Thu Mar-06-14 03:13 PM
SV were GREAT rappers, GREAT.

just like Guru was GREAT, at rapping.

both show the different ways in which rapping is a craft/art form and can be manipulated to show the individual's strengths.

speak for yalls selves
2874007, LOL we're officially in bizarro land here
Posted by woe.is.me., Thu Mar-06-14 03:55 PM
i love SV Vol 2 as much as the next guy, but to claim ANYONE in SV (apart from Elzhi) was a great rapper is ridiculous.
2874075, there's a lot of truth to that
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Thu Mar-06-14 07:21 PM
out of the original members Baatin is fay and away the best rapper, when you look at the things he does with spacing and whatnot he's pretty incredible and has one of the most original styles you're going to find
Dilla was a good rapper as well (not great, but good) and T3 was a little above average
but as a group they were great at rapping together, playing off one another and making songs together
they're not superior rappers like some posters like to think of them as (don't get supablak started on that shit, he gets genuinely pissed off when you don't refer to Voodoo or Slum as above reporoach) but they're much more powerful as a group than they are as soloists or when isolated
2874140, SV were like Group Home.. they sucked while sounding good...
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Fri Mar-07-14 10:03 AM
...obviously Dilla was the talent even on the mic, and he got pretty good later on as well .

...and I know Guru said its mostly the voice.. but he was a lot more than just a smooth voice on the mic.. i think its a shame how people shit on the guy on OKP.. only here do i ever hear that shit too.. go figure
2874237, if you read. you'd see most of us love Guru
Posted by astralblak, Fri Mar-07-14 10:04 PM
and know he was an INCREDIBLE song writer and crafted top to bottom great albums, plus the voice and chemistry with Primo

you're an idiot when it comes to understanding Slum or anything after 96 new york hip hop. i mean you think Outkast is "ok"
2874349, People DO shit on him on OKP though...
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Sat Mar-08-14 08:27 PM
...not MOST but still, they exist and are not so few as to be irrelevant; I've read it several times over the years here and this thread is really no exception...
2874353, RE: if you read. you'd see most of us love Guru
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Sat Mar-08-14 09:44 PM
>and know he was an INCREDIBLE song writer and crafted top to
>bottom great albums, plus the voice and chemistry with Primo
>
>you're an idiot when it comes to understanding Slum or
>anything after 96 new york hip hop. i mean you think Outkast
>is "ok"

i don't like outcast at all... when did i say they were ok?? I do love slum.. but they were shitty MCs.. lots of great songs..but don't ever think those guys were talented MCs, Elzi never fit in because he was a beast, lol
2874246, SV were nothing like Group Home
Posted by justin_scott, Fri Mar-07-14 11:25 PM
2874352, true, group home has an all-time CLASSIC album
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Sat Mar-08-14 09:41 PM
2873920, boston stand up!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by Ezzsential, Thu Mar-06-14 11:14 AM
guru is fiyah. nuff said!

CHECK OUT AND DOWNLOAD MY FREE BEATS @ WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/SYLANA
~i dont deal with colors including black n white ,letters or any morse codes or beams~
2873922, RE: Has there ever been an emcee more overshadowed than Guru?
Posted by stone_phalanges, Thu Mar-06-14 11:22 AM
Guru wasn't that good a rapper. He wasn't bad or anything, but he wasn't great.

It was mostly the voice.
2873993, you have terrible taste/opinions on rap
Posted by astralblak, Thu Mar-06-14 03:14 PM
turrble
2874078, what was the last guru feature you got excited about
Posted by stone_phalanges, Thu Mar-06-14 07:36 PM
...or how about a freestyle. I'm not saying he didn't make dope music, or was bad at songwriting, but pure rap skills? Whatever dude, to each his own.
2874092, Ru didn't do a lot of features
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Thu Mar-06-14 08:36 PM
but he always brought it in album format, in fact in a way most rappers continuously fail at
he was a marathon rapper, the skill and potency in his work reveals itself over repeated listens and at length on albums
2874072, Tommy...you go eat (c) Martin
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Thu Mar-06-14 07:17 PM
2873985, i knew who guru was before i knew who preem was
Posted by Shonuff, Thu Mar-06-14 02:43 PM
n/m
2873994, Big Boi
Posted by Crash85, Thu Mar-06-14 03:21 PM
2874011, My choice.
Posted by JFrost1117, Thu Mar-06-14 04:07 PM
I won't say I'm well-versed enough to say he's THEE most, but he does get the stepchild treatment often.
2874013, agreed and Prince Po too
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Thu Mar-06-14 04:13 PM
2874006, It really all depends on how much you like "Step in The Arena"
Posted by micMajestic, Thu Mar-06-14 03:45 PM
Primo was good but he hadn't peaked yet, the production didn't have that timeless Primo feel yet. But you can argue that Guru might have been peaking around that time. Imo Guru had established himself as a top shelf mcee on there, after that album Guru started slowing the flow down sometimes and swagging out a little more. I could dig the slight change in approach because in my eyes he was already official. But if you started messing with Gangstarr on "Daily Operation" you might just think Primo's kinda carrying him.

Lately I've had the strangest feeling.... that you were GOOOONNNNEEEE
2874009, I agree with this
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Thu Mar-06-14 03:57 PM
I think that Guru was his best mc-wise by classic standards on "Step...". I noted when "Daily Operation" came out that he was slower, had simpler rhyme-schemes and even said some stuff that barely rhymed. However, I also think he became more personal flow/persona-wise on that record and onwise; on "Step..." he was kind of a NYC-battle-rapper, a bit more laidback and more in line with the "alternative"-trends at the time but still.

I also agree that Primo didn't really had his style down fully on "Step..." even if I guess there are hints; the strength of the beats rely more on the strength of the loops which, if you are familiar with the source-material, are pretty obvious (for the record, nothing wrong with that) for the most part.

On "Daily..." meanwhile was when he started to loop tiny fragments of riffs and breaks and just starting to sound more like *the* Primo even if it is still a bit transitional. Also, the drums on "Daily..." don't *knock* like they did later-I don't know if it was intentional due to their connection with so-called alternative/jazz-rap or if it was simply due to equipment/production-standards/studio/whatever. Either way, the sound isn't as "in your face" as the latter Primo-stuff and a bit more lo-fi. It's my favorite of their albums though...
2874153, I'm with Woe, Guru just wasn't THAT good.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Mar-07-14 10:47 AM
He isn't over-rated or under-rated, he is rated at just the right level.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

There is no absolute knowledge and anyone who claims it — whether a scientist, a politician or a religious believer — opens the door to
2874183, Link from the archives: songs where Guru went OWF
Posted by mrhood75, Fri Mar-07-14 01:54 PM
http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=100386&mesg_id=100386&listing_type=search
2874187, Sometimes I don't know how I miss certain posts.
Posted by Anonymous, Fri Mar-07-14 02:42 PM
2874206, Memphis Bleek?
Posted by Kira, Fri Mar-07-14 04:33 PM
Royce by Em is in the conversation as well.
2874247, Treach is more overshadowed than Guru
Posted by justin_scott, Fri Mar-07-14 11:26 PM
though I wouldn't say Treach is a better emcee, he's definitely dope.
2874312, And how is Treach not a better emcee than Guru?
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Sat Mar-08-14 04:08 PM
2874354, guess that depends on how you define emcee
Posted by justin_scott, Sat Mar-08-14 10:27 PM
is Treach more lyrical? yes, but Guru was a far superior writer and one of the best topical rappers ever. so, for me, Guru was a more complete emcee with a greater body of work, and i'm not saying Treach wasn't topical, not saying Naughty doesn't have a great catalog....but...

also, must of been high when i responded. for some reason i thought "overshadowed" was "forgotten"
2874386, Yeah, I was wondering about this part:
Posted by mrhood75, Sun Mar-09-14 10:41 AM

>
>also, must of been high when i responded. for some reason i
>thought "overshadowed" was "forgotten"

I was about to ask,"Who exactly was Treach overshadowed by in NBN?" Not Kay Gee. Certainly not Vinnie. Glad you cleared it up.
2874309, I always thought Guru was good, not great
Posted by Grand_Royal, Sat Mar-08-14 03:51 PM
Without the production on Gang Starr albums, I don't think I would rate him very highly. That's not a knock against him, there just aren't many (if any) hip-hop artists who had the level of production through 5-6 albums.

2874389, that's how most feel..ask them dudes where they was at when
Posted by Menphyel7, Sun Mar-09-14 10:56 AM
Guru was making albums with Solar?
2874455, most don't feel that way, cut that shit out
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Sun Mar-09-14 08:46 PM
he's still a great no matter what any of you say, his Gang Starr work can't be denied by anybody including you 'what have you done for me lately' assholes
only people that feel that way are Primo stans, and even they know what time it is
2874348, Guru nearly ruined most of the shit he was on
Posted by quatto, Sat Mar-08-14 08:21 PM
he was always just barely listenable to me. plenty of cringeworthy lines from dude. he had a dope voice but i almost never liked what he did with it. just my opinion
2874390, Guru was so all time great how come yall ain't big up them albums without
Posted by Menphyel7, Sun Mar-09-14 10:59 AM
Primo..them Solar albums
2874400, He was past his prime at that point
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Sun Mar-09-14 11:53 AM
Even greats like Cube, BDK, LL, etc have fallen off. It happens. I don't think anyone considers Guru an all-time great though.
2874454, nigga you ride for Pac and you talking about shitty beats?
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Sun Mar-09-14 08:44 PM