Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: For a first time Roots Picnic attendee
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2873441&mesg_id=2878585
2878585, RE: For a first time Roots Picnic attendee
Posted by aptpupil99, Tue Apr-01-14 01:42 PM
"What should I expect? I've never really been to a concert/festival as big as this. How early should I arrive to get a great spot closer to the stage? Is the food expensive (like $4 for water and $10 for hot dog type expensive)? Would I be able to handle the greatness from every single act that will bless the stage all night? Will I have a colonic from all the bass? Hahaha. Needless to say, I'm excited."

So the caveat here is that I haven't been since Picnic #1 in 2008. Since the show is general admission, you can show up as late as you want as long as you're prepared to use empty spaces in the crowd and a lot of "excuse me please" to your advantage and help you move up farther. I remember food and water being expensive, but I don't remember how bad. I think you can bring in one water bottle though.

The thing I remember most vividly about the first Picnic is how hot it was. Seriously. We are talking about an outdoor venue with blacktop and zero shade (not counting the DJ tent) in the first week of June. I showed up around 1:00 p.m. to catch the Roots' first set and I was ready to fall over after their third set - couldn't stomach the idea of waiting another 30 minutes to catch Gnarls Barkley. This year I couldn't pass up Snoop backed by The Roots, so I'll just show up an hour or two before the headline set, as long as they are still posting the schedule a day or two before the show.

Oh, and if Hub shows up this year, a bass colonic is inevitable.