Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectDecided to play TFA about a week ago
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2872619&mesg_id=3016565
3016565, Decided to play TFA about a week ago
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Fri May-31-19 07:19 PM
And it still holds up to me. None of the songs sounds 'dated' or don't land. Still love The Spark, Ain't Say Nuttin New, Double Trouble and Don't See Us.

I've heard that the production is the star on TFA and that may be true. But Thought was a marvel on that album (as he usually is.) All of the features worked well and the hooks are top notch as well.

I know fans, myself included, are quick to label an album a classic immediately after release. Things Fall Apart fits that title.

I wonder what would have happened to the Soulquarians if that Rolling Stone (?) feature never came out about ?uest which the other members didn't take to. Would we have gotten a couple of more albums like TFA from the band and Kweli, Mos, and Common? Not that the band's quality fell off after Phrenology but the musical themes did. Artists change over time and it's likely that even if the colletive stayed together the sound would have shifted into something different. But I still wonder.