Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectTips for newbies
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2870808&mesg_id=2870930
2870930, Tips for newbies
Posted by handle, Mon Feb-17-14 12:33 AM
New to the game? Here are some tips:

1)Read the list of music already played for the guest.
https://sites.google.com/site/therootswalkon/sortable-list

2)Some guest's music is "retired" so refer to #1.
If you suggest Return of The Mack for Anthony Mackie you'll not get credit, unless you suggest a new way to "flip it" or re-arrange it. Repeats do not count on my list unless you make a great case for it.

3)Read ?uestlove's "NO!" list on his signature.
If it's on the NO! list it only has a %0.01 of being played.

3)You must link to a sample of the song (if possible.)
Link to the song on Youtube, or Vimeo, or Rdio, or Amazon snippets, or iTunes if at all possible.

5)The pick has to be related to the guest *somehow.*
a)Is the guest associated with the song from a TV show or movie? Example: Magnum PI Theme is good for Tom Seleck, the Theme To Gilligan's Island is likely not a good choice.

b)Was the song written about the guest?
Example: "Cherchez La Femme" by Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band is a good choice for Tommy Mattola, the Theme To Gilligan's Island is likely not a good choice.

Other scenarios around this: Was the guest in the video for the song? Did they sing it on a talk show? Did their mom name them after the song writer, or after someone in the song? Did they mention it is their favorite song? Did a relative write it? Was it sung by their spouse?

5)Can the song be applied to the guest or to the project they are promoting this week?
Example: "911 is a joke" was played for a guest who's new movie concerns an aborted 911 call.

6)Funny is almost always better.

7)Rhymes work.
Example: "Do the Hustle" turns into "Do the Russell." for Keri Russell. Or turn "Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto" into "Domo Arigato, Demi Lovato."

8)Snarky is good - but be careful what you ask for.
Example: I won't even mention it.

10)The earlier the better
?uest has stated that the early bird gets the worm.

Just be creative and back up your choices with some sort of rationale. I think The Roots play a song suggested here about 25% of the time.

And don't get disappointed if your choice isn't played, even if you can make a case that what you suggested was better. Who knows hwy they pick what the pick? I've gone weeks without a suggestion being played.

Good luck, and welcome aboard.