Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectDouble-edge Katana.....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2860669&mesg_id=2861407
2861407, Double-edge Katana.....
Posted by NoDrawls McGraw, Sat Dec-14-13 02:43 AM
On the one edge, I don't see nothin' wrong wit' Hav puttin' his Kits out there as memorabilia and/or tools for others that are so inclined...

In the proverbial sense, zooming away from the leaf and taking a panoramic view at the *forest, I see nothin' wrong with a Bruh rightfully maximizing his profits from Black Art so long as he didn't compromise Black Art in an ethno-cultural socio-economic sense(as someone alluded above, before any outsider and/or out-group entity takes snake-like avail of our art-forms, WE,.....the progenitors of this art, should get 1st pick at the fruits harvested from our cultural ingenuity)....< <from that vantage point, Hav......gwan 'n get dat loot Sun!

NOW.....on the OTHER edge of the Katana.....

...Ninjaz 'posta matriculate/gather/archive/discover they *own drums Sun!

STRAIGHT. LIKE. DAT.

I 'member when I cold took an entire year off of writin' rhymes to dig in the crates and amass my drum-kits, gatherin' snares, kicks, rides, hi-hats, cabasas, ngomas, clave's, rimshots...etc from my own respective sources so as to cultivate my own respective percussive identity as a beatsmith/producer so dat I could rest assured dat my sound was, indeed,....MY SOUND, ya dig. Few things can match the honor of havin' anotha beatsmith ask you, "Yo Sun, where did you get that snare from?"....and being able ta sip your brew and answer, "Thas my little secret, muhfukka!".....LOL.

...so I know my fellow beatsmiths in here know what I'm sayin'...so on that side of the blade, and maybe its the old-school boom-bap B-boy in me, ...but I feel some kinda way about ninjaz downloading kits instead of customizing their own kit-base through diggin' and finding that jewel that other shinobi might not've peeped yet, nahmeanz.

That mighta been loquacious but I'm passionate about dis HipHop shit, Sun!