Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectYeah, it was the turning point, but it's not so bad in retrospect
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2856628&mesg_id=2856946
2856946, Yeah, it was the turning point, but it's not so bad in retrospect
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Nov-19-13 05:55 PM
Don't get me wrong, I was definitely disappointed in it, and it was one of the first albums I returned/sold back the record store after copping it and dubbing the good tracks off of it.

>Seems to be an album the culture has sorta forgotten about or
>dismissed as well.

Which is why RA the Rugged Man put out that video on YouTube defending the album as a whole. I'm kinda with him on that.

>I can't think of one canonical Kane song on it.

Personally, I love "Put Your Weight On It." Not as well known or anthemic as "Raw" or "Warm it Up Kane" or anything, but it doesn't get much better than Kane ripping it over three classic break-beats.

>Maybe 'It's Hard Being The Kane' would make the back half of a
>Top 10-20.

Great track.

>'Cause I Can Do It Right' was a weak lead single'.

Eh, good for what is was. I liked it at least as much as "I Get the Job Done," his other pop single that didn't go too pop.

>I don't wanna talk about 'All Of Me'.

Worst Kane song ever. Thee worst. No argument.

>'Big Daddy vs Dolemite' was funny.

Yes it was.

There's some other jams on it: Mr. Pitiful, Down the Line, Who Am I? (even with the wack verse by Malcolm X's daughter), and a jam or two I'm forgetting.

So yeah, the album was the direct precursor to Kane in Playgirl, Kane in the "Sex" book, and Kane in the purple suit, but overall a decnet album.