Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectIs The Marshall Mathers LP a classic album?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2855323&mesg_id=2855323
2855323, Is The Marshall Mathers LP a classic album?
Posted by Chanson, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
With all the hype surrounding the release of The Marshall Mathers LP 2 I went back and listened to the original Marshall Mathers LP.

For years I have concluded that Em was the only rapper who people call the GOAT that didn't have a certified hip-hop classic under their belt.

But in going back and listening to the original MMLP I think I need to revise that position.

There definitely is a classic contained within the 18 tracks on the album. The problem for me lies in the inclusion of "Ken Kaniff (Skit)", "Drug Ballad", "Amityville" and "Under The Influence". You take these tracks off and hands down it's a classic.

They're on there though so it becomes a bit of a debate for me. Given everything that surrounded this album upon its release, and the fact that it remains the crown jewel in Eminem's catalog, how can I deny the fact that it's a classic?

What's OKPs consensus 13 years later? Classic? Great but not quite? Other opinion?

Let's talk about it (or at least vote).

Poll question: Is The Marshall Mathers LP a classic album?

Poll result (27 votes)
Yes (18 votes)Vote
No (9 votes)Vote