Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectthe Bowie Connection was no bigger than him on Sesame street
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2852249&mesg_id=2852496
2852496, the Bowie Connection was no bigger than him on Sesame street
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Wed Oct-30-13 04:26 PM
or being on the Apollo. truth is association with ROberta Flack who crossed over big time had arguably a big hand in Luther's solo career. i mean Roberta had a hand in peabo Bryson's solo thing taking off and Donny Hatahway benefited from those duets IMO.

Vandross though got labeled too Black and took for granted, however if you paid close attention to Luther's album making Process the cat remade classic songs, he also was very successful and was a Black Pop cross over mantle to Teddy Pendergrass and don't act like Boyz 11 Men, Mariah Carey, and some other 90's acts didn't read off the Vandross playbook either.

however his sound and vibe was very black though when you cover a House is not a home, superstar and until you come back to me,etc... that is very cross over.

i know Marcus Miller and Nat Adderly Jr kept the music with pop and subtle stank, still Luther wasn't exactly making ZZ Hill R&B records either. he was accessible IMO.