Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectElliott Smith's song Waltz #2 and his psycho killer characters
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2849568
2849568, Elliott Smith's song Waltz #2 and his psycho killer characters
Posted by c71, Mon Oct-21-13 12:01 PM
The Painful Life History Hiding in Elliott Smith’s Masterpiece

by William Todd Schultz

Elliott Smith died 10 years ago today. Earlier this month, Bloomsbury published Torment Saint: The Life of Elliott Smith, by William Todd Schultz. The piece below is adapted from the book and printed here with permission.

“Waltz #2 (XO),” the third song on XO (1998), is Elliott Smith’s certain masterpiece. It’s got a roadhouse, Wild West, player-piano feel to it. And the tune, with its staccato ¾ beat, takes Smith back to Cedar Hill, the suburbs of Texas with his mother, Bunny, and stepfather, Charlie. There’s love in “Waltz #2 (XO),” but a deeper impulse is anger, aimed squarely at Charlie. Brilliantly laid out in metaphorical cloakings, the song’s a secret life history, summarizing Elliott’s feelings about the Cedar Hill atmosphere and the intricacies of his relationship with mother and stepfather. He was always exceptionally worried about the possible hurtfulness of his lyrics. The thought that they might cause harm pained him.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/10/21/elliott_smith_waltz_2_x_is_the_best_song_by_the_man_who_died_10_years_ago.html

My favorite song of his is "Son of Sam" another killer character song.

I guess this book excerpted in the article will talk about that song too.

Used to love Waltz #2. Now..........still good but "Son of Sam" all day.
2849882, Bookmark
Posted by CaptNish, Tue Oct-22-13 10:12 PM
I can't read this right now. I'm going through a break up and if I delve back into Elliott, I dunno if I'll survive this time. lol
2849907, Elliott Smith is better than R.Kelly
Posted by supablak, Tue Oct-22-13 11:35 PM

s.blak
and he killed himself