Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectNo, not solo, but I'm basically opposed to the entire enterprise.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2848429&mesg_id=2849468
2849468, No, not solo, but I'm basically opposed to the entire enterprise.
Posted by Buck, Sun Oct-20-13 10:29 PM
It's the artificial creation of a canon, an approved list of artists that we're supposed to hold in some higher esteem because they made the list when so many others didn't. But good music is art: you don't need an artificial canon when time and appreciation will inevitably make the final judgment of an artist's music's worth.

And I don't understand what's being measured by this institution. Like, okay, the Stooges are in, but why not MC5? Why not New York Dolls? Why not __________? Where and why is this line being drawn?

And there are a ton of artists who have that one excellent track in an otherwise brief and/or pedestrian career. I mean, to me, Dexy's Midnight Runners HAVE to get in, right? And doesn't "Vehicle" alone earn The Ides of March entry?

It's fucking artificial, and it reeks of old men in suits with too much power. The real Hall of Fame is when people listen to your music a century after you're dead.