Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectMy 5
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2848429&mesg_id=2849448
2849448, My 5
Posted by supablak, Sun Oct-20-13 09:19 PM

Chic - Nile Rodgers is the 2nd most important musician/producer of the 80's. The 1st being Prince. Nile put his stamp on so many things and had a variety of sounds going depending on who he works with. Look at them sales numbers for "Produced By Nile Rodgers".

Hall & Oates - Incredible Act, Great Songs, Great Talent, GREAT VOICE (Daryl Hall). The had an incredible run and still hold it down without being cornballs individually and solo.

The Meters - I FUCKING LOVE THE METERS. They definitely are in my bullpen for Funky Soul. Their sound became textbook for a lot of musicians and they go largely unnoticed.

The Replacements - I like "Let It Be" and politically...N.W.A. can kiss my ass until next year or the year after that. Frankly I didn't appreciate all that mother fucking hostility on record...even though "Straight Outta Compton" is funky as hell and "Efil4zaggin" & "100 Miles" are musically ridiculous...and Cube and D.O.C. was putting they FOOT in them damn rhymes creating what would become "the blueprint" to a goddamn POWERHOUSE sound/style of Pop Music & Pop Culture in Gangsta Rap...my people took to this bullschitt like Native Americans to small pox blankets & hooch. I still think Dr. Dre is a clown too. So yeah...Paul Westerberg,Tommy Stinson,Bob Stinson & Chris Mars you guys get my vote.

Yes - Dude...Jon Anderson's voice is so fucking "Wizard" I'd have to make it up if it didn't exist. If Yes didn't exist I'd make them up.

s.blak
Woot, There It Is