Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectWhat's your dream music app (itunes, spotify, etc..)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2846612&mesg_id=2846612
2846612, What's your dream music app (itunes, spotify, etc..)
Posted by Delajoo, Tue Oct-08-13 06:45 PM
I've been a heavy user of iTunes for years, compiling a collection of over 30k songs and am pretty OCD in my organization of them. I go so far as to tag the producer and writers of songs of my favorite albums, and cannot stand to see a song without the album art on it.

But in my years of using it, I've been pretty much come to the conclusion that Apple doesn't give a shit about the bulk user like me, and also has absolutely no skill in creating a social integration within the app. Spotify is a step up in this dept., but honestly I think that app is ugly, clunky, and their social integration isn't even very fluid, although years better than iTunes.

I've been waiting for itunes, or some other company to basically come out with something that:

-Let's me custom create ID3 tags, or at least add some new ones (separate composer into different songwriting/producing credits, as well as adding the label/sub labels of the album (I mean seriously why hasn't this already been done).

-Let's me tag songs by "keywords", so that I can create better smart playlists, and group songs according to categories inside of genres without having to manage 100 different genres.

-Have some sort of social integration that lets me know how popular a song/album is amongst other iTunes listeners, as well as among my friends. The way I imagine this, is when you hover/click for info on an album, song, or artist, it gives you a read on how "hot" they are (whether by the amount of plays, listens, or appearances in others libraries). Also, last.fm scrobbling or equivalent needs to be built in and Facebook integration must be perfect with an accessible app on Facebook to scroll through data.

I really wish iTunes and Spotify would just merge and give me the best of both worlds.