Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectIconic performance that's NOT lip synced >>> Iconic lip sync....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2844181&mesg_id=2844445
2844445, Iconic performance that's NOT lip synced >>> Iconic lip sync....
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Mon Sep-30-13 11:42 AM
not to say that that the motown 25 performance wasn't Iconic..it was huge for music....popular culture....television...everything...

but just by it's nature....if we are talking about a musical artist...I have no problem putting Mike's performance at the top of a list based upon it's popular culture impact ...television performance and the like...

but if we are talking music...musical artists...at the end of the day Mike basiclly lip synced a hit song.... something that lots of people have done over the years....and the impact of MIke's performance is based more on the time and place it occurred..its' moment in history..as opposed to the actual act of lip syncing his hit song....

something performed live....at least with the vocals happening live just has more impact from a musical perspective to me...

it's almost like the greatness of Mike's performance put performing live and lip syncing on the same level moving foward...which isn't Mike's fault...but to me it's not a good thing that those things are looked at as being the same...

I don't have a disdain for lip syncing per se...as much as I have a disdain for the idea that it's an acceptable practice at times and in venues when traditionally it was not used as such...and becomes a cheap and inauthentic way to pass off a performance as being "live"...