Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI didn't think about the regional part...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2843833&mesg_id=2844367
2844367, I didn't think about the regional part...
Posted by Remedial, Mon Sep-30-13 05:25 AM
>the one about only four artists going platinum since 2006.
>And it's even wilder than none of them are from the South, two
>are from the West, one's a girl, and one's from Canada.

But you're so right. With the way trap music dominates the sonic palette of rap today, you'd think that at least a few of those artists who embrace that sound almost fully would have plaques, I.e., 2Chainz, etc...

So, then, the South's dominance of radio is just a farce, then? Because, obviously folks ain't buying the shit.

But yet, turn on MTV Jams right now or turn on your local urban station and that's still ALL you'll hear. Don't make no sense to me.

The sad part is that many major artists have fallen prey to the allure of potential success painted by the omnipresence of trap: T.I. fell prey to it on this most recent album ALTHOUGH he had been on a more commercial rap trajectory before going to prison; Jeezy will never accomplish his full potential because of his unwavering allegiance to it; Jay completely watered down the Kool Aid so he could try to jump on that bandwagon, etc...
About Kanye was the only one who said f' that and went completely left just to break away from Medusa's trance.

I say that to say this: Trap IS an underground sound and really was never meant to be something that dominated the hip hop arena. Why? Because it's a lot like dubstep: There's only so much variation you can do with it and eventually, to the untrained ear, it REALLY all starts to sound the same.

There, I SAID IT.