Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectHow has album creation changed from 8-Track > Vinyl > Tape > CD > MP3?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2841819&mesg_id=2841819
2841819, How has album creation changed from 8-Track > Vinyl > Tape > CD > MP3?
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Sep-18-13 08:24 PM
I know we've mentioned it in different posts, but I've never seen one post dedicated to showing how much the creation of full albums changed each time the dominant format changes.

Like...you know how vinyls albums were for many artists...they would make the very first song on it the hit record? Then, with tapes, you started seeing "intros" to projects...or was that more when CDs came?

How much has the average length changed? I know songs were longer in the 70's and early 80's, but it felt like the full albums would remain under 60 minutes. Not sure for tape, but CDs are 80. I notice that most MP3 albums still remain under 80 min...but I see that changing shortly, since there's no limit for a MP3.

I just read a comment last week about how Janelle Monae's album has skits that are separate tracks, and it was like "who does this in the MP3 era?" or something along those lines. And did skits come along on CD's, because they were easy to skip right past, vs forcing the listener to listen to them?

I've also heard that when tapes were dominant...they made sure that the first song on the B-Side was a banger. Was this usually the case?

What are some examples of famous albums and how their layout was made based on the common medium of the time?