Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectBeen listening to it a lot of late...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2840415&mesg_id=2846030
2846030, Been listening to it a lot of late...
Posted by imcvspl, Sun Oct-06-13 09:05 PM
One thing that really sticks out is that characters really just aren't clearly defined, and neither is the setting throughout the album.

*Disclaimer love the album and the music on it but that won't keep me from being hyper critical*

If this is to be a cohesive thing things just need to be a whole lot clearer for the story. Metrobolis is a city in the future. Cindy is from that time in the future. Are all the songs sung by Cindy? Can't be because Ghetto Woman is on there in which Janelle is clearly paying homage to her mom. Cool song but what the fuck does it have to do with what Cindy is doing in the future.

On Q.U.E.E.N. so much of it is obviously in response to Janelle critics today. But in the video etc it's all presented as being Cindy in the future? And that would be perfectly acceptable if she could make a direct tie to how her critics today parallel the critics of Cindy in the future.

Victory is such a great song if it was a full body android song set in the context of the future. The notion of an Android falling in love with a human and wanting anything to get some reciprocation, and having to hang on to the little things.

On Sally Ride there's the notion of her going despite people wanting her to stay which I take for Cindy going on to become the Archandroid. But it's just not clearly stated.

There are all these little fragments of what could be a great mythical world but nothing tying them together.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."