Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectTotally agree...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2840057&mesg_id=2841018
2841018, Totally agree...
Posted by Remedial, Mon Sep-16-13 08:53 AM
That's why, for the most part, I avoid radio almost entirely and music video channels almost to the same extent. It seems that music today is made solely to sell products so that the artists can get more endorsements/payments, etc...

Although I do spend most days focusing on my own music nowadays and don't listen to even 1/16th the amount of music that I did about 5 years ago (at one point, I was listening to about 3 new albums EVERY DAY), I can say that there is still a HELLA lot good music out there, but, as has always been the problem with the casual listener, they rely SOLELY on radio and now, blogs to let them know what they should be listening to.

So, since blogs will only promote those artists that generate hits, we get the same trash recycled.

But, the new advent, in my opinion, is people literally regurgitating the popular opinions available on the internet (blogs) or automatically giving a pass to any trash that an "advertising accepted" artist puts out.

We can see it most recently with the trash that Drake just put out called Wu-Tang Forever. Now, I AM A DRAKE FAN, but we have to be willing to call basura, basura. But, like I said in another post, not only do folks want to be the first to post, but they want to be the first to praise so that they can say they were the first to endorse it. So, EVERYBODY loves a new song/album until it fails at market, but, no need to recant or admit inaccuracy because, by that time, they're on to the next hype beast.

So, yeah, the music game is very cannibalistic at this time in history, where artists are not afraid to serve as advertising platforms. This is now ACCEPTED. But, until that flames out, I'll be searching for the next underground act that makes the untainted music that I love and talk about it on here with similar minds...