Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI think we all agree...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2833140&mesg_id=2834352
2834352, I think we all agree...
Posted by DigiSoul, Tue Aug-20-13 06:41 PM
that artist's rights should be protected in regards to their creations. I think the issue being raised by Robin Thicke's lawsuit is where the line should be drawn when as it pertains to how far rights holders can go when it comes to enforcing their rights.

It is my understanding that Thicke has been very open about using "Got To Give It Up" as inspiration for his song and his producers copied it's feel and flavor. The point that Thicke is attempting to make is that imitation does not constitute infringement and I have to agree with him. All of our favorite artists imitate someone who came before them and there has never been a problem. We may call someone a "biter" when they imitate a little too closely but there has never been a need to raise legal issues about it.

As far a Robin Thicke being a cultural bandit is concerned, while some may not consider him to be the most authentic "blue eyed" soul singer around, I really think that he is sincere in his efforts to pay homage to the legendary artists who paved the way for him. As I stated earlier, he's brought Marvin Gayes music back into the spotlight and that's a good thing. I've been longing to hear more popular radio music that reminds me of the great songs I grew up on. Hopefully other young artists will follow Thicke's lead.

peace...