Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectGood to Great MC
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2829164&mesg_id=2829299
2829299, Good to Great MC
Posted by Luke Cage, Mon Aug-05-13 11:50 PM
>Simple...Where is Common on your all time list?
>
>You know what's next....the Questions
>
>1. Is Common in the top 10 all time?

No I can't put him in that top tier all time territory. I have him in that second tier of good to great MC's. To be a top 10 MC at some point I had to consider you as the best MC in the game and Com was never that.

>2. Is Nas and Common more of a comparison because they are
>poetic MC's?

I think they have similar styles not just because of the poetic style but also because of their use of Jazz samples. Nas is more lyrical and has a much better flow though.

>3. Does Common have a classic LP? No great, but Classic. How
>many?

One Day It'll All Make Sense is classic to me and Like Water is great near classic.

>4. Is his career done now to you?

Not at all. The Dreamer was a solid album with some standout cuts on there and I will always check for a song if I know he's on it.

>5. Random Common comment...

I think Com is great example of an MC that just continued to get better at his craft. Better at writing songs, putting albums together. From Can I Borrow A Dollar to Like Water For Chocolate is almost like a different MC without it coming across as him jumping on any kind of bandwagon. It comes across as natural growth.
>
>Studio albums
>
> Can I Borrow a Dollar? (1992)
> Resurrection (1994)
> One Day It'll All Make Sense (1997)
> Like Water for Chocolate (2000)
> Electric Circus (2002)
> Be (2005)
> Finding Forever (2007)
> Universal Mind Control (2008)
> The Dreamer/The Believer (2011)