Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectOf course I like joy in music but...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2823770&mesg_id=2824258
2824258, Of course I like joy in music but...
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Mon Jul-22-13 05:00 PM
...that song represents a side of fusion I'm SO not fond of with the musicians playing those rhythmically complex (well) melody-lines in absolute perfect unison; it has very little to do with what I like about jazz or rock or anything else for that matter. Also, the song-like a lot of fusion in that vein-never really gets going IMO, it's just a long sequence of buildups to me; tension that isn't really tense not getting released.

As for the soprano-sax, I'm honestly not the biggest fan of that instrument even when Coltrane played it. I like it in really old jazz like Sidney Bechet and I like Steve Lacy (who of course was a pure soprano-player with old-school roots and not some guy who picked it up on the side because Coltrane made it hip) and Sam Rivers playing it (the latter I still prefer playing tenor and even flute) but there's something about the nasal tone that's not really my thing and Shorter's take on the instrument never really did it for me for some reason.