Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectAZ - Pieces of A Man
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2812116&mesg_id=2812306
2812306, AZ - Pieces of A Man
Posted by Anonymous, Tue Jun-11-13 10:17 PM
I always group this album with In My Lifetime, Vol 1

I think with a few cuts and better sequencing both could be AZ's and Jay-Z's best album respectively.

I remember when the video for Hey AZ dropped and how much I wasn't feeling it.

Especially after the Firm album, I felt like I was going to get more commercialized bullshit from AZ.

The album dropped the same day as Goodie Mob's Still Standing.

The album starts off strong with New Life and I'm Known.

Then the monster Nas collabo, How I'm Livin' which just continued the strong track record AZ and Nas had on features.

Trading Places was the official single and while that track was "whatever" back then, but now I like it even more.

What's The Deal is actually a good commercial track. I'll forever hate rappers for putting a sex interlude on the album. Same with someone getting shot. So the fact the interlude is at the beginning of this joint kinda knocks it back for me.

Love Is Love is probably the best song on the album. Great guest verse by Nature. This is what the Firm album should've sounded like.

The Payback and Sosa are two great 1verse songs. Beats are both tailor made for A.

Just Because was a slacker and just another extension of Hey AZ and the commercial shit on the Firm album.

It's a Boy Thing was horrible and I just remember hating that beat. It's not that bad now and I can play it but it definitely would've been cut.

Pieces of A Man and Last Dayz are both great tracks. 2 of the top 5 on the album.

Whatever Happened is one of the few times RZA did production outside of the Wu and RZA's need to mention "pussy lips" aside, this is a great joint.

Trial of the Century should've been cut. The beat is actually dope but I don't know who allowed that dude to do hooks.

Betcha Don't Know was like Just Because...more nonsense.

I've actually grown to like Hey AZ and probably wouldve taken off Just Because and Betcha Don't Know and just kept Hey AZ.

It's a Boy Thing and Trial of the Century also go.

My track listing would've looked like this

1 New Life
2 I'm Known
3 Trading Places
4 How Ya Livin'
5 Love Is Love
6 Hey AZ
7 Sosa
8 What's The Deal
9 Pieces of A Man
10 Whatever Happened
11 The Payback
12 Quiet Money (intro joint on Love Is Love later found on Half-A-Mil's album)
13 Last Dayz