Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectKinda stale talking point, homie....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2810151&mesg_id=2810639
2810639, Kinda stale talking point, homie....
Posted by murph71, Wed Jun-05-13 08:30 AM
You've stated this a million times Maxx...And no one who actually knows a thing or two about Mayfield is parroting this agenda-driven view...

Mayfield's Impressions catalogue is just as important as his soundtrack work (that includes a bulk of the civil rights anthems like "This is My Country "Check Out Your Mind," "Choice of Colors," and "We're A Winner"...To continually dismiss the man's work pre-Superfly is puzzling...Hell, his 1970 solo album Curtis was groundbreaking..."(Don't Worry) If There's a Hell Below, We're All Going to Go" is pretty much genius...

Like I've said in the past, Mayfield's music meant more than just "hits" or moving the clubs....

And again....Mayfield's guitar style had a HUGE impact on funk, pop and rock music....Jimi Hendrix talked about the huge influence Mayfield had on him as a guitarist...And called him among his favorite axe man (check out his influence on songs like "Angel" and "Wind Cries Mary")...

In fact, he always shouted out the Impressions (Jimi on Curtis and his group---“I like the Impressions…they’re some people that need to be really, really respected. See, these are classical composers. I don’t care what their music sounds like today, because today, as things are happening at that particular time, the people that’s in that particular time don’t really know the value of it until it dies off. But now people really have to start learning the value of things as they’re living today.”)

Curtis wrote all of the songs, produced the music...And played most of the instruments...

I know you are going to try to turn this into another silly Curtis Mayfield vs. R. Kelly post...But I'm no longer going to dignify it...

It's all about legacies....That's all to it...When you have that on your side all the other stuff is just noise....

No disrespect, of course....