Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI'm liking it so far, but I realized what's been annoying me about him
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2802128&mesg_id=2803535
2803535, I'm liking it so far, but I realized what's been annoying me about him
Posted by Cineno, Wed May-08-13 08:00 AM
I bought it, unheard. I hadn't listened to any singles, leaks, etc. so it's all new to me.

So far I'm liking it. But I have to sit through it some more. I listened at the gym which isn't really a fair listen.

I realized what's been annoying me about him. I feel like no matter my mood, I used to be able to play his stuff and enjoy it.

But now, with his seemingly forced identity/trend hoping, he may make good stuff, but I'm not always in the mood to hear it.

"Quality" had a good balance of what I like from him. Conscious stuff, straight spitting stuff, and a little R&B sounding stuff to balance it out. "Eardrum" too to an extent.

That's not a knock on his current output, just my personal tastes. Coming off a bad break up I'm not trying to hear all his R&B stuff right now lol.

It's like when you're chasing styles, you end up doing too much, and your music becomes disposable because it's only relevant to certain situations.

For example, I can like club music when I'm in a club. But I don't listen to the radio because when I'm not in a club I don't want to hear that.

If I felt like dancing, some of his recent stuff would be dope. But when I just have on my headphones walking around NYC, I'm looking for something I can relate to which he used to make more of.

Again, that doesn't mean his recent stuff isn't good. I'm just realizing it's not always for me at this point in my life. His older stuff I felt like I could throw on no matter what I was doing. Still one of my favorite MCs though.