Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI've never heard Michael Jackson's Invincible album until...now (a review)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2782509&mesg_id=2782509
2782509, I've never heard Michael Jackson's Invincible album until...now (a review)
Posted by double negative, Wed Feb-27-13 11:46 PM
I havent listened to a MJ album from start to finish in years.

I randomly happened upon this album because of the song 'Butterflies'

Track one- Unbreakable feat. Biggie. I nearly fell out when I heard the biggie verse dropped in the middle of the track. Its a great way to open the album.

Track two-Heartbreaker. This shit is so Justin Timberlake its not even funny. I see where JT gets it. I can see how this track would sound bad in 2001 because it totally works right now.

Track three- Invincible. again, sounds ahead of its time. really dig the way they built up a groover over a simple repeat musical phrase. not really hooking me but I can see it being a track that ends up being one of my favorite tracks after repeat listens. One thing I really dig is the play between the rigid lockstep groove and the looser sections. The song could have totally scrapped the rap in the middle but it still works.

Track four- Break of dawn. Ballad. I felt something, and then I realized it was just the tea I was sipping. Really into the layered vocal section that really opens the track up. Definitely reminds me of classic MJ moments. Love that cracking snare driving the chorus, this is the song that needed a remix of sorts.

Track Five- Heaven Can Wait. the song for the whip. This shit is smooth. That bassline is hitting like shit. Its strange to hear MJ use support vocals (layered?). Its more RnB than rock/funk. Its a bit strange to hear MJ play a song so straight.

Track Six-You Rock my world. Fuck I'm going to hell, I cant stop laughing at intro. Mike-"i can get the girl...." . know the track well. no need to review. although I would like to add that the snare/snap is really hitting. i think there is a kick underneath it.
this was around the same time as Mary J. Bliges 'Family afair' and Big Pun's "still not a player". I can hear a similar musical style with the fake strings driving parts of the track

Track seven-butterflies-nothing to see here, great track. really good track. pay attention to the building and swirling synths in the background. its a deceptively simple track but there is a LOT going on in the background. its a perfect track.

Track eight-Speechless. Skip.

Track nine-2000 watts-skip. way too much going on, very distracting. the repeating "200 watts" vocal coupled with MJ singing in a low register made for a mess

Track ten-you are my life..............shit.....skip. Its a good track actually, it doesnt fit the album.

Track eleven-Piracy-feels like the A-side or better version of 2000 watts. Its not a bad track, its just needs a different mix. It feels thin sonically and the camera/polaroid sample is way too high in the mix. Conceptually I understand why the sample is high in the mix but its ultimately distracting (which is a part of the concept)

Track twelve-Dont Walk Away-didnt skip but uh.....not my style.

Track thirteen-cry-what is this shit? skip.

Track fourteen-The Lost Children- what the shit is this fuck? skip.

Track fifteen-Whatever Happens-solid groove. after the last few tracks I was losing faith in the album. i cant really tell whats going on stylistically with this song. on one hand its a RnB jam but then there is a spanish guitar line laced throughout and then out of nowhere theres the ever present MJ electric guitar dropped into the track amongst the sea of strings and vocals. Its a good track because its something you can play for someone and they will say "i really really like this...what is this?!" and then when you say "Michael Jackson" they will shout back "GET OUT!".

Track Sixteen-threatened. first thought; why hasnt this track been sampled to shit and back? it starts out like a bugged out west coast snap n' clap track a la Kurupt, Mac 10, Dre,Volume 10. there were a few moments on the album that reminded me of Janet Jacksons music, this is definitely one of those tracks that carries that rock/rnb thing well.

so in a nutshell, its a really good album.

were it my world the album would be a solid 10 tracks not a bloated 16.

there is a very good collection of tracks among the throw away stuff.

it was ahead of its time in some ways and very behind in others.

Would recommend to folks.