Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectMe being 28 and from L.A., I realized that a lot of folks my age seem
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2775148&mesg_id=2775776
2775776, Me being 28 and from L.A., I realized that a lot of folks my age seem
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Tue Feb-05-13 04:50 PM
to prefer the mid 80's Rap, even the "corny" type shit, more than the 87-91 era that you mentioned, or at least certain artists.

I don't know...the production is the main thing we prefer, more so than the raps. Rakim is one of my favs for sure. Tribe is my favorite group. But when it came to production, the minimalist, drums only, or either slight funk based sound always appealed to me the most. I can see it being a Regional preference, even though all of this music came from the East.

I played Schoolly D "PSK what does it mean" for my two homies, 27 and 22 from here, and they'd never heard it...but were amazed and loved it. So I think that sound just hits some of us the hardest, more than Chill Rob, Ultramag, early-early De La, P.E., Bomb Squad, and a lot of that. It could be because the West Coast artists followed that sound more....PSK = 6 in the morning, and arguably "Boyz in da hood" too.