Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectIt kind of makes sense her coming through Snoop tho
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2772103&mesg_id=2772221
2772221, It kind of makes sense her coming through Snoop tho
Posted by Alphabet, Wed Jan-23-13 11:18 PM
Like you said, she has that Old School Soulful Sangin type vibe, and one thing about Snoop he still always keeps those elements in his music..Even when Snoop was young he was an old soul so I can see Snoop bringing LeToyia out...I can't think of anybody else who would have BUT Snoop, honestly...

Problem is she is just too soulful for the modern trends of the last 10 years, unfortunately. Especially with what I feel is the steady stripping of actual soulfulness away from black music specifically the last couple years (but thats another conversation).

Maybe LaToyia could have made some headway with better song material given to her..she probably would have hit in that Jennifer Hudson, Fantasia type of way, I guess...

Im glad she missed out on Neo-Soul. Latoyia Williams is more 'raw soul' to me...she would have been too soulful for Neo Soul

Im a fan though..I would love to see someone like a Raphael Saadiq, or Late Registration era Kanye produce her (she would have smashed a song like Alicia Key's "You Don't Know").