Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: Wild thing is, Warren was my favorite artist from like 94-96, but I never
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2759791&mesg_id=2759828
2759828, RE: Wild thing is, Warren was my favorite artist from like 94-96, but I never
Posted by Brew, Thu Nov-29-12 09:53 PM
>heard this album. I was super young, and had to sneak to
>buy/listen to certain albums...but I never had enough interest
>to check it out, probably because the singles didn't move me.
>"I shot the sheriff" was the lead single.

Yea I remember that being the lead. He used the EPMD Remix for the single right?

>He came back a bit stronger on the next album, especially with
>the singles. "I want it all" was ridiculously dope to me,
>flipped the hell out of Debarge.

Dogg I LOVE "I Want It All". I thought that album was so dope. Both at the time it came out and today. I listened to it a month or so ago and it's still really good. Similar to God's Son for Nas (though obviously I'd never compare the 2 artists) this was when Warren came his most personal and for a whole album, it came off sincere and legit. The beats were dope (pun not intended but "I Need a Dope Beat" was always a personal favorite) and it was sequenced well with good guest spots. I still listen to that "If We Give You a Chance" track with Slick Rick semi-often. Rick's verse is money.

>I do want to check this out, now. But as I mentioned
>above...the post Pac, pre-2001 era was painful for L.A. music,
>and this just fell into that too. We had some regional gems
>like Rhyhtmalism, Street Gospel, and Top Dogg was dope for
>sure. But commercially, nobody was f'kin with us much.

Yea you named all the right ones. I kept trying to like the albums cause I was always such a big West Coast hiphop fan, but a lot of the music from that time just didn't resonate. I did like a good amount of Kuruption!, but it was way too uneven and obviously a big step down lyrically for the most part from what we'd come to expect from Tha Kingpin to that point.