Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectthe studio version is pretty poor
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2758122&mesg_id=2766543
2766543, the studio version is pretty poor
Posted by GumDrops, Wed Jan-02-13 06:35 AM
im sure i saw a live version that was much better somewhere a while back.

its the production that ruins it the most. why does prince still try and use commercial pop production?

its time to leave that stuff alone imo. he should also also stop quoting his old songs (that synth riff in RNR love affair is basically him saying 'please remember what i used to make') and remember that he is a heritage act now. not that he couldnt make some interesting new music, he def could, but trying to chase the pop dollar, for him at this point - IN 2012 - its not the way forward. not unless he calls in some outside help.

prince should either just make prince music (but NOT trying to sound like its still 1983), or get someone outside to help him make a hit, if thats what he really wants. id prefer if he made something that took a few risks on record - esp as only a few people care about what he makes at this point, its all about the live show for him now - but i could tolerate prince doing an all out attempt to get in the charts again and working with red one or whoever if it was actually convincing.

then again, i think id prefer if prince just stopped releasing new music. its like he cant stop recording now, his sense of quality control, or idea of what people want from him at this stage, is totally shot.