Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThat's a wild overstatement, but it still doesn't negate my point.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2748413&mesg_id=2748974
2748974, That's a wild overstatement, but it still doesn't negate my point.
Posted by The Analyst, Wed Oct-17-12 12:08 PM
I said there are some great songs on Double Fantasy, and Watching the Wheels is one of them. I'd put in the top five solo Lennon songs. Overall that's far from a "great" album though. First of all, half of it is mediocre Yoko songs. Second of all, the other half is mediocre Lennon songs, save for Watching the Wheels, Beautiful Boy, and I'm Losing You. Starting Over is alright. It got mediocre reviews when it came out and was more notable for the fact that Lennon was at least trying to make a comeback than it was for the music.

Not a great album though.

Outside of a weak opener and a weak closer, CHAOS is an extremely well-crafted album. The craftsmanship is impeccable and there are plenty of gems that stand up with McCartney's best material. Lot of inspired ideas going on there, especially production-wise. Maybe no song as good as Watching the Wheels, but overall I stand by the statement that it's a very strong album. Not a masterpiece by any means, but a very good album from a guy pushing 70 whose creativity still shits on most of today's acts. (For further evidence of this, see ELECTRIC ARGUMENTS, the album he put out under the name The Fireman in 2008.)

The duduk solo on the break of Jenny Wren is alone better than 90% of Lennon's post-Beatles career.