Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI disagree with you.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2745374&mesg_id=2745813
2745813, I disagree with you.
Posted by stone_phalanges, Thu Oct-04-12 02:55 PM
I am not saying that the radio was once some type of great proponent of hip hop culture and now it is base and senseless and that isn't what the blog post was about and no one that remembers listening to the radio through the years is saying that.

That being said the radio was much less one note. Also, there was a time when you could be surprised that something so wack was on the radio and now I defy anyone to be surprised about any of that, "because I got high" was surprising when it came out and that wasn't that long ago.

Radio has changed period.

I think you may have missed the point of the other statement. I can't say that the amount of topical diversity in hip hop is causing it exactly but many people, casual listeners and even some that really like rap, see it as a very narrow thing. When you ask about why rapper don't talk about things other than a very narrow set of topics they ask "what else is there" as if everything other than hoe's, drug's, and violence is a very narrow topic.

The culture is definitely changing and maybe this is just the time when hip hop splits into adult contemporary and alt rap and hard rap and all the other B.S that rock is split into but you know what?

Ain't no alt rap station.

Ain't no adult contemporary rap station.

Ain't no hard rap station.

A lack of topical diversity is almost being bred into hip hop by every kind of rap needing to coexist together.

Nobody's being a revisionist like everything was perfect in the 90's or something but topically (not necessarily musically) hip hop is getting pretty stagnant.

Not even just on the radio or mainstream just rappers in general. I don't understand how you can say it's just as bad as back then and imply that there isn't a lack of topical diversity. If I talk to you about the same thing for 30 years the first 10 years maybe you rock with it then even 15-20 it's like "ok this is a good convo and all but what else you got to say" after 30 rappers rappin' about the same thing and your'e saying the topics are diverse?

Again it's not about homeboy sandman it's about what he's saying, and what your'e implying doesn't make sense.