Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectYou guys in here take ad hominem to new levels
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2745374&mesg_id=2745639
2745639, You guys in here take ad hominem to new levels
Posted by stone_phalanges, Thu Oct-04-12 12:23 AM
The article isn't about him and his music personally, it's about the youth and how they view hip hop. Of course he used examples from his own music that's only natural but he obviously wasn't suggesting that he is the only MC with topical diversity. Think of it this way. When you were young what would you have answered to the question "what Comes to mind when you think of hip hop?".

The perception of hip hop has changed and what gets played on the radio has changed. The culture of the music has changed. We used to have "weed songs" on albums now we have weed artist that just rap about weed for an entire album.

I'm honestly not sure if it's topical diversity that has changed or something deeper in the culture but there is something different in the hip hop of today that is affecting the youth and their perceptions of the music. Going forward I don't know where many of the really creative MCs that we listen to are going to be coming from.

I think it's a really cool article. If you don't let it be colored by how you feel personally about his music, and don't get caught up on his examples, there is a very interesting conversation to have about hip hop in there.