Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThing is, a lot of the Bass just wasn't seen as "Hip Hop" in some
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2729282&mesg_id=2729319
2729319, Thing is, a lot of the Bass just wasn't seen as "Hip Hop" in some
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Fri Aug-10-12 05:27 AM
weird way. Like, Hip Hop heads back then would bitch about Hammer, maybe even a Coolio when it was 1,2,3,4, but they never bitched much about Bass and that side of things because it served a COMPLETELY different purpose.

You never saw these groups here collaborating with artists of different Coasts, or even with the Outkast/Geto Boys types, because the sound was that much different. But there was no need to hate on them or call it out, because there was a lot of "classic" music being made, and this served no threat. As big as "Tootsie Roll" and "Whoop, there it is" were, and as much as they got played, there was still space for the Wu, Tribe, Mobb Deep types to make the same impact.

Older generations always complained about the following ones in Rap, but to me, the whole "Hip Hop is dead" started more around 98, and this is when ALL commercial Rap form all Regions started to get criticized. So if Bass had hung around this long instead of dying right then (I think Mo Thugs "It's all good" is the last song from this era I heard on radio/TV), it would probably be looked down on.

BTW, there's NO WAY you were getting it poppin at Freaknik if you are calling this music/era wack.