Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectSee, I always liked his solos...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2727596&mesg_id=2728861
2728861, See, I always liked his solos...
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Thu Aug-09-12 05:58 AM
On their own, they are tuneless wankery with no redeeming musical values but in the context of Slayer's often very tight and rigid songs, they give a sense of craziness and spontaniety to the proceedings. I also like the way he and Hanneman shifted the Judas Priest- alternating solos approach to the left while still retaining the dynamic. Basically, in JP, Glenn Tipton played the melodic, classical-inspired solos wheras KK Downing spazzed out with the whammy-bar and played more in a post-Hendrix (minus the blues) style. In Slayer, Hanneman pretty much played like Downing and King like a mongoloid but you still get the contrast.

I should also mention though that those tuneless solos became a cliche in more extreme thrash and early death metal as well so the concept has pretty much been played out for 20 years or so; it doesn't have much left to offer and most lead-guitarists in the at least more notable metal-bands seem to have abandoned it, at least as the dominate lead-style.