Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectIt kinda feels like he perform(s/ed) for himself instead of the audience
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2715469&mesg_id=2715668
2715668, It kinda feels like he perform(s/ed) for himself instead of the audience
Posted by self_ish, Mon Jul-02-12 09:20 AM
It's as if he's living out his bedroom fantasies of being Prince circa Parade but instead of doing so in front of stuffed animals and G.I. Joe's he's actually on stage before hundreds of people. He's just not a very engaging showman or band lead. He doesn't have the personality of a Prince or a James or a George, and try as he may he just can't channel on stage what it is that made those dudes captivating. The '86 version of Prince that he seems to be in love with had learned by that point how to work a stage and engage the audience. D interacts with his bandmates more than he does the crowd. For the most part folks were just grooving to the music itself while D (inaudibly) riffed, screamed and threw out counts/hits. It felt like jam session/rehearsal on stage, which is cool, but it wont drum up interest in new material for folks who aren't already clamoring for it.

In that setting he should have just stripped in down, sat at a piano and sang. THAT is his strength. When El DeBarge and Maxwell were given the opportunity to "comeback" on the BET Awards they kept it simple and showcased what it is that makes them unique. Their voices. D should have done the same and saved the James Brown/Revolution Revue for the tour. But he's his own man and I believe he's doing what's in his heart to do so more power to him. It was good to see him up there and I do genuinely hope he releases a solid, successful album soon that thrusts him back into public view.