Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: lauryn hill in a blowout and it ain't even close
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2695396&mesg_id=2696179
2696179, RE: lauryn hill in a blowout and it ain't even close
Posted by dalecooper, Tue May-08-12 08:26 AM
>she is arguably one of the top 5 ever female Rappers
>Ever,however he can't say he is one of the top 5 Male
>Rappers. ever 1)

This point I don't agree with. I mean, you may be right, but it's not saying anything. That's like saying that a top five female basketball player (other than Cheryl Miller) is better than the tenth or fifteenth best male player (which according to Bill Simmons would be Hakeem the Dream and Kobe). Obviously, this argument makes no sense. Rap is as much a man's game as basketball - maybe not because of physical differences but because men are just more attracted to it on the whole. And in a straight-up comparison, I'd say 3000 is a better rapper than Lauryn, even though she's great. That means a whole lot considering that most of us think of the man as a rapper first and foremost, with everything else being gravy.

>for all of Andre's Charisma, Persona, he just never brought it
>as a solo act. now in Outkast He is Michael Jordan to Big
>boi's Scottie Pippen, however listening to the Love Below and
>him trying to go solo he is more like Horace Grant a 3rd
>option as to being in the main section.
>
>Lauryn Hill got it right and then choked, but she had it
>right.
>
>Andre needs to stick to rapping and being in a Group. talented
>cat, however limited on the solo tip

I actually agree with all this. He's proven himself a better group artist than solo, and this is the most meaningful category where Lauryn has him.

However, I'd still take 3000 at the end of the day, because in a group setting he has a bag of classics (four by my count, YMMV); Lauryn had one and then blew away in the wind.