Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectYeah, the Cult were great in that era...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2675479&mesg_id=2676432
2676432, Yeah, the Cult were great in that era...
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Wed Mar-21-12 06:35 PM
"Electric" was awesome, they are almost completely forgotten now it seems but I remember hearing songs like "Love removal machine" a lot at the time and they were really big. But yes, I think that album holds up pretty damn well.

As for Def Leppard and Whitesnake I'm one of those guys who think those bands sold out something terrible compared with their earlier stuff (of course, at that time, I too was primarily into thrash, death and grind/hardcore/whatever so I couldn't give a fair judgement) but I played both "Hysteria" and "1987" on Spotify a while ago and while "Hysteria" is overproduced and "80's" to the point of sounding ridiculous, it's hard to not admire the craftmanship in the songwriting.

As for Whitesnake. ''1987'' was much better than I remembered it to be even if the hit-version of ''Here I go again'' is a travesty compared with the 1982 original. Also, ''Straight for the heart'' rocks!

¤Generally speaking, I think this era deserves some critical re-evaluation which of course doesn't mean that Bon Jovi were ever any good (limp pop-rock masquerading as ''metal'') or that bands like Poison or Warrant weren't total clowns but I think enough time has passed to at least give some bands props.