Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjecton the short list of best rock records of the past 25 years for sure
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2675479&mesg_id=2675657
2675657, on the short list of best rock records of the past 25 years for sure
Posted by Bombastic, Tue Mar-20-12 03:33 PM
that album alone basically puts Guns N' Roses in the Hall of Fame first-ballot.

Actually just saw Axl at the Palladium on Sunset last week, he's still an asshole (came onstage at 12:30 AM for a 9 PM show) & it's tough to do the snake-dance when you're more shaped like a bullfrog these days but somehow he still sounded great vocally.

They opened with 'Jungle' then went into 'It's So Easy', before that last pick-up when he goes into the high-register I turned to my girl & said 'if he can still hit these notes coming up we're in for a good show'.

Axl then kicked into that high-weird-Axl-scream/screech with absolute ease & power for that whole last chorus/refrain.

Played just about every song off this album save 'Think About You' (which was always the most forgettable song off Appetite, still not worth skipping but not a highlight by comparison) and 'My Michelle' (which I really would have loved to heard just for the intro alone).

Appetite still holds up, far better than the double-album that followed, it was almost difficult to explain to my girl whose 28 going on 29 how 'important' this band was at one point in time in the late 80s/early-90s.

It's a shame how things sort of fell apart after this record but just off the title alone & the themes on it you can see this wasn't somehting built to last.