Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectdrowning distain of the present in romanticing of the past.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2674975&mesg_id=2674975
2674975, drowning distain of the present in romanticing of the past.
Posted by david bammer, Sun Mar-18-12 06:49 PM
just out of curiosity.
let's say hypothetically starting tomorrow you could not listen to any music that was not presently recorded and released in the present year for the rest of your life...

how would you fair?

would that be no big deal for you?

i get the impression that most people here, most people online and most people with an affinity for music in general nowadays would find that very very hard to tolerate as they are almost all vocal about their adoration of music from the past.
...even the people who try to validate and prop up today's contemporary music because they run a music blog or they're an aspiring dj or something of that ilk.

what does that indirectly communicate about the worth of our life & times?

to use the old dame dash quote...
on your tombstone there is a year you are born and a year your die. your life is the dash.

this is our life span.
these will some day be the years we were alive on earth.
some day, maybe sooner than you think, every second of this is going to be the sum of our time here.
i think re-treating into the past and romanticizing it with and over-abundance of folklore and wide-eyed amazement is becoming stifling to our progress as a species.

i think we need to look at the grim reality of what our mainstream culture has degenerated into in contrast to previous times rather than just retreating to those times for a temporary escape from it all.
at some point whatever era is in your comfort zone and you consider "golden" be it the 1940s/50s/60s/70s/80s or even 90's.
at some point in the near future that is going to have been so long ago that nothing that happened during that period is even going to be properly remembered or cared to be remembered by the masses.
(try having a convo with a regular joe about culture from the 1920's and see how knowledgeable they are as evidence of this in action).

i'd love it if people could collectively bring their desires to the forefront of what's happening today and move in some progressive direction genuinely eclipsing things that already happened rather than willingly standing in their shadow or retreating to them as a coping mechanism.
again, what we do today is eventually going to become OUR legacy.