Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectslum village - fantastic volume vol. II (good vibe)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2674970&mesg_id=2674976
2674976, slum village - fantastic volume vol. II (good vibe)
Posted by forgivenphoenix, Sun Mar-18-12 06:50 PM

I beg all of you who own our records to go out and buy Fantastic Volume II (Interscope / Universal) by Slum Village.

I’m very chagrined and devastated that our so-called ''hip-hop'' periodicals have overlooked this classic. Simply stated, if it weren’t for Slum Village, I’d quit the business and go back to college. Their perspective and interpretation of hip-hop is, by far, the most original and ground breaking material I’ve heard in eons. If you are not familiar with the trio, they reside in Detroit, and before you get thrown off and think that they are some computer graphic-using, money hungry thug niggas, then I have to say… you’re exactly right. BUT, you’ve never heard anyone from the Midwest (okay, Mideast, if there is such a thing) outdo anybody from the East Coast. It’s key member, Jay-Dee, is one third of the UMMAH, the production company that consists of Q-Tip and Ali Shaheed. Together, they’ve done ''Runnin’'' by The Pharcyde, ''Stakes is High'' by De La Soul, and ''Got Till It’s Gone'' by Janet Jackson (not to mention our own ''Dynamite''). His approach to production is envied, copied, and respected by hip-hop’s most elite producers. The lyrical approach of Jay and his two cronies, T-3 and Baatin, speak volumes as well. They have this patented whisper-like syncopated background vocal style that will catch on similar to how their Midwestern brethren, Bone Thugs’ ''miggedy miggedy'' flow has.

I personally feel that the tongue-lashing from Vibe’s Craig Seymoure was unfounded and not based on fact. I doubt seriously that he’s even listened to this record uninterrupted more than three times. And, as for The Source, I guess I shouldn’t expect much from a publication that gives BDP’s Sex and Violence (four and a half mics) a higher rating than Return of the Boom Bap (a mere four mics). But, the three and a half mic rating Slum Village received is unjust and unfair. I can name at least twenty innovative occurrences that appear on this record that haven’t appeared on any hip-hop record. No lie. I expect that most of you that come to this website have purchased our album. It would behoove you to resurrect hip-hop and buy this record. If you love Gang Starr, Tribe, De La, and Common, you will thank me two times for making you buy this record. This is a state of emergency. We are at war.

One love,

?uest-diggidey.