Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectSweet fife n drum loop to start (on The Blues)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2670122&mesg_id=2670152
2670152, Sweet fife n drum loop to start (on The Blues)
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon Mar-05-12 02:28 PM
and I like the way he keeps the fife going. I'd be surprised if that was an African sample rather than MS hill country though, so vis a vis the title I'm not certain it works. not that it really matters though, very cool track though the 3d quarter loses me a little.

Vocal sample actually sounds more Bollywood to me, but that may be the effects he uses on it more than anything.

All in all, a better use of Black roots music samples in a modern electronic/sample-based setting than you usually hear.

Listening to the Footnotes track now... this sounds like a project I need to hear more of to give it a proper assessment. I'm enjoying the commentary and can't guess as to most of the sampled speakers (I've got Lomax, Pete, and, uh, David Dye, along with a few of the musical samples). Reading the blurb on him and this project... it's a lofty goal for sure but he's kinda hewing to the traditionalist line.

I mean, I just get skeptical... not sure if you saw the 'red white & blues' post last week, but I pointed out that after Obama talking about the blues's origins in Africa, they chose to emphasize its domestic origins in New Orleans, and did it using St. James Infirmary... which is an old English ballad.

Will have to check more of this project. Never heard of dude before... how'd you come across it?