Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThis is a tough question.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2669963&mesg_id=2670041
2670041, This is a tough question.
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Mar-05-12 08:55 AM
PM Dawn is probably still a bete noire of sorts in hip-hop circle though I'm pretty sure Prince Be is looking at the current crop of rap artists, with a wistful grin. There will be a bit of revisionist history regarding them, and how they were received (I remember they sold but I don't think dudes were really messing with them too much). However, with artists like this I believe someone's gotta take the fall so someone else can live. See: Hammer had to fall so that you could have the Interscope Superstars and even Master Pee (my rationale for this is simple: Hammer was a super rap star who got his name off independently sold-records, went to a major, blew the hell up in a way that you only saw with a Mike Jack, and had a fall grander than nearly any other artist... that was unheard of in rap).

Even if the artists today (and in the recent past) will most likely not cite PM Dawn as a direct influence, there's no denying the similar vibe they brought about.

Personally, I thought they were aping De La Soul a little too tough when I first heard "Memory Adrift", but I did find it both bold and hilarious that they yapped Spandau Ballet. It would be something I did on a rap album.

If I'm not mistaken, one of my favorite not-well-known projects of the 2000s that sort of brought those dudes to mind was Kirb and Chris's NIGGAZ AND WHITE GIRLZ -- if they say that they ain't had those dudes in mind when they were making some of those tracks, I'm dropping the "BS" card. That album was good and hilarious.

Arrested Development held most of the critical acclaim and they sort of vanished from the mainstream landscape once the mid-'90s hit, so I think that they'll still be remembered fondly should they be recalled.