Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectElectric Circus did NOT suck...Yin/Yang twins' music sucks, Soulja
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2668916&mesg_id=2670845
2670845, Electric Circus did NOT suck...Yin/Yang twins' music sucks, Soulja
Posted by vee-lover, Wed Mar-07-12 01:34 PM
Boy sucks, Drake imo sucks...why? because its mostly disposable music. I have no doubt though that ppl will be listening to EC 20-30 yrs from now and will have a greater appreciation for it than ppl did when it was released (that record was released during the Ja Rule era so go figure)

the main and the same reason ppl criticized that record was also why they *praised* it...because it was an artist taking a chance and doing something different and to me art, whether in music or painting, is supposed to be abt pushing the envelope. Now, whether *you* or anyone else for that matter liked it or not is simply a matter of taste but it didn't suck.

I can name 7 out of 12 songs that I dare you to tell me they were bad songs...particularly when you juxtapose it to other HipHop records that dropped around that same time

-Ferris Wheel featuring Vinia Mojica (the intro was DOPE!)
-Soul Power
-The Hustle
-Come Close featuring Mary was a good record
-Star 69 featuring *Prince* and Bilal (Prince on a HipHop record?? that alone make it dope lol)
-Between Me and You & Liberation the most progressive song Com has made imo (and Cee Lo is great on this record as he is always w/Common)
-I am Music featuring Jill Scott I love this song...

Now, if you can make a record that has 7 good songs on it then I would hardly say the cd "sucks." lol

>and it sucked b/c try as he might, Common (and his ppl) just
>isn't good at making that type of music. it didn't sound
>good.

what??? you mean the same ppl who worked on 'Things Fall Apart'...Voodoo...'Mama's Gun'...'Like Water for Chocolate'...and '1st born 2nd' aren't good at making that type of music?
>
>maybe that's Nas's problem. maybe he's 'limited' as an
>artist. he might be better off staying in 1 or 2 lanes. of
>course, the only way for him and his audience to find out was
>for him to take chances. so kudos to him for that.

but no one can tell me that HipHop listeners aren't the least most sophisticated listeners of ANY genre, even moreso than hard core rock fans...it usually takes HipHop listeners a decade or two before they embrace something different in the music...and a group like 'Arrested Development' is a PERFECT example of that.

Remember how so called HipHop purists criticized them for SINGING on their records back in the early 90s because that wasn't considered "HipHop," nevermind the fact that they made good music, it was just most ppl were accustomed to hearing HipHop artists singing on records back then - fast forward 10-12 yrs later and damn near every artist began singing on their records and they are still doing it to this very day.

>
>same w/Common. kudos for going there on Electric Circus. it
>was a worthy effort that ultimately failed, IMO.