Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectis it Brown Sugar part 2 or Crystal Ball part 2?, January 26, 2000*
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2659313&mesg_id=2659313
2659313, is it Brown Sugar part 2 or Crystal Ball part 2?, January 26, 2000*
Posted by self_ish, Wed Feb-08-12 11:56 AM
*Review submission date

first of all i think D'angelo has talent.but five years for this? the positives the music doesn't sound like the junk that's out here now and real instrumentation.the songs that stood out are the root,Spanish Joint is the best cut,Untitled(how does it feel) is the best cut prince hasn't done in years.the stuff that doesn't work left&right with method man&redmen that makes no sense.most of the album sounds just like the last one.you have to change your groove.it has catchy riffs like on the song feel like making love the classic song by Roberta Flack with the horn part.but it suffers from too much sameness aside from the tracks with Roy Hargrove&charlie Hunter who plays solid axe.the track AFRICA from the start with that drum track is a bite of I wonder u by Prince&the revolution from the parade album under the cherry moon soundtrack.he should just get into Prince's band.musically he is not on Prince's level.he should not take five years for much of the sameness.his baby's moma Angie Stone has a way better album than this check that out.it's one thing to be influenced by someone it's another to be stuck in there mirror.D'angelo,Maxwell,Lenny Kravitz are talented but not on Prince's old level.if you are on Prince's tip and want to be cleaver listen to MESHALLNDEOCELLO. shes the closes thing and yet maintains her own thing.the next one by D should not take 5 years.you have to be a superstar and not a clone.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2BADMYGD7MD7A/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000035X1M&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=

Say what you want about maxxx and his opinion(s) of D'Angelo, but you can't call him a retroactive hater. He actually gave Voodoo three stars. And trust me, compared to the one and two-star reviews this was tame.